Find The Governor Hill Mansion on Facebook

About the Mansion

About The Governor Hill Mansion

The Governor Hill Mansion in Augusta Maine

During his tenure as Maine's 45th governor, John Fremont Hill decided to build an executive home befitting Maine's highest political position.

He naturally chose Maine's most prominent architect, John Calvin Stevens, who was the first architect from Maine to be inducted as Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, to design the impressive home. Stevens planned the Hill mansion to reflect his interest in the Colonial Revival Style, bringing in brick from St Louis and using local granite to construct the three stories and stately façade.

The elegant interior of the mansion has been exceptionally well preserved and maintained. Both formal entrances usher visitors into a large and welcoming hallway that connects the parlor, dining room, and large living room and library. Then, as now, entertaining in the Mansion was conducted largely on the first floor, with the second floor containing bedrooms (now offices to lease) and the third floor serving as servants quarters (now leased to Catholic Charities). From its completion in 1902 until Hill's daughter Katherine Merrill and her children made it over to the Oblate Fathers in 1948-49, the mansion remained in the Hill family. The Oblate Fathers deemed it the St. Paul Center. In 1988 ownership and management transferred to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland, who held it until 2002 when Catholic Charities Maine acquired the facility.

In 2009, Catholic Charities Maine sold the building to local businessman and history enthusiast, Geoff Houghton.

Download Our Menus to Save or Print

Front entry to The Governor Hill Mansion in Augusa Maine